Farrowing pen for loose sows: WELSAFE
Space-saving farrowing pen for loose sows
Be at the forefront
In the last two decades, gestation crates have disappeared to enhance sow welfare in many countries and production systems all across the globe. The notion grows that a sow must also be able to stretch its legs during lactation.
In various countries, legislation has already been accepted in that direction, and new farrowing crates will likely have to change design and usage in the European Union by the latest 2027. Plenty of reasons, therefore, to look into alternatives already now.
Welsafe farrowing pen is designed to ensure the best conditions for both sows and piglets. The pen is designed in a way to ensure the warmer space for the piglets and cooler space for the sow.
Focus on animal welfare
ACO FUNKI offers WELSAFE farrowing pen for loose nursing sows, where the sow is only confined for a few days and has better conditions than a traditional farrowing pen. When the piglets are born, they are safe right after birth while the sow is still confined. After this, they have plenty of space to move around.
If you need to inspect the sow, it is possible to gather all the piglets in the piglet nest. There is a particular aisle between the farrowing crate and the piglet nest, so you do not need to enter the area with the sow.
In general, the WELSAFE farrowing pen is about making the sow comfortable and increasing the piglets' survival rate.
The main benefits:
- Production results show 0,5-1,0 kg extra weight at weaning and more piglets per litter
- Swiveling sides allow short-term restraining, which helps to reduce piglets’ mortality
- Height-adjustable barrier plate in the piglet nest
- The sides can also be used as flexible protection during the inspection of the sow
- Inspection access between the farrowing crate and the piglet nest - not necessary for employees to come into the sow
- Stronger sows in better condition
- Lower consumption of antibiotic
- Leaflet about Welsafe (PDF; 2 MB)
- Welsafe free farrowing pen (PDF; 699 KB)
- Bioform Corner trough (PDF; 746 KB)